Thursday, April 9, 2015

MRA Conference


I spent the day at the Massachusetts Reading Association Conference and I'm so excited and energized!  

I got to hear some really incredible educators speak about ways to help kids LOVE reading and writing - which is really what it's all about.  I heard two principals talk about ways they got their whole school engaged in reading and talking about books.  They were really motivating, and I'm hoping to use some of their great ideas at the South (including updating this blog far more often). 


I also learned that I'm a bilbiobibuli! 

As evidence, here are the books I've read in the last 2 weeks:

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library 
by Chris Grabenstein

A Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole

Riding Freedom by Pam Munoz Ryan

And I'm currently reading:
The Case of the Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger


However, my favorite part of today was getting to listen to Jon Sciescka (which he pronounced like Cheshka) tell the funniest stories.  He has written so many amazing books, but getting to listen to him talk about growing up with five (FIVE!!) brothers was amazing. 


 I had tears rolling down my cheeks as he told about the trouble he and his knucklehead brothers caused.  He also talked about his time teaching for ten years in New York City.  He said many of his characters are stories are based on the kids who were in his classes.  


I am very excited to go back tomorrow to get even more great ideas! 



No comments:

Post a Comment