Friday, October 2, 2015

It's not Monday, but here's what I'm reading!

I have to confess, on Monday I was still reading Neverwhere for the third week in a row.  I loved the book, I just didn't know what to write about it for yet another post. The good news is, I finished it last night (it was so good!) and I started another book right away.

Now I'm reading A Place Called Ugly by Avi.  I chose this one because it was published the year I was born (yup, google it and you can find out how old I am) which is one of the 2015 challenges.  At first I was just looking up all books published that year, but that was really overwhelming.  Then I decided to pick an author I knew I liked and see if they had anything published that year.  Avi was the lucky winner.  I haven't read one of his books in a while, but Something Upstairs and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle were two of my favorite books when I was 10ish.  I was even more excited when I found out we had it in our library at the South (even if the copy is a little old and beat up)!

This book is about a 14 year old boy who has been going to the same beach cottage each summer for 10 years and he absolutely loves it.  Then he finds out they are planning to tear it down to build a fancy hotel in its place.  He decides to stay behind when his parents go back to the city to try to stop the demolition.  Can you imagine being a 14 year old, with $16 and an empty house trying to accomplish something like that?  I keep wondering if I would have had the courage when I was that age to do anything that courageous.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment